MVB, (DVM), University College, Dublin, Nat. Univ. Ireland, 1964
MSc, Pharmacology, University of Guelph, 1966
PhD, Pharmacology, Medical Center, University of Toronto, 1970
MRCVS – Member, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1964-date
DABT, Diplomate, American Board of Toxicology Inc., 1980-2015
Licensed/eligible to practice in Ireland, 1964-date
Licensed to practice in Ontario, Canada, 1964-1978
Kentucky Veterinary License, NS-1053146473, p 1978-date
Professor of Veterinary Science, The Maxwell H. Gluck Equine Research Center, U.K., Professor, the Graduate Center for Toxicology/ Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology, UK, 1975-date
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Patent Applications Filed/Awarded
1) 1984: US Patent # 4,473,640 for morphine detection: “Detection of Morphine and its analogues using enzymatic hydrolysis”.
2) 1999: US Patent # 5,883,095 for treatment of EPM (1999) “Formulations and methods to treat and prevent Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis”.
3) 2004: US Patent Application number: 20040053938” “Novel method and device for treatment of exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage in horses”
4) 2005: US Patent Application number: 20050043288 “Composition and method for marking procaine penicillin”
5) 2006: US Patent # 7,074,834 for an equine tranquilizer (2006); “Long acting, reversible veterinary sedative and analgesic and method of use.”
6) 2014: US Utility Patent E-filing, Filing, Oz, H and Tobin T “Novel Compositions & Methods for Preventing & Treating Apicomplexan Related Disease” utility patent application E-filed August 4th, 2014, EFS ID: 19771622, Application Number: 14451337 International Application Number: n/a Confirmation Number: 496.
LICENSED IPS/ COMPANIES
1) 1987-1989 International Diagnostic Systems; Royalty arrangements for fentanyl, carfentanil, furosemide, acepromazine, cocaine, detomidine, phenylbutazone, alfentanil, sufentanil and 20-plus others, in ELISA and PCFIA formats.
2) 1991: WTT ELISA TESTS, Inc., created by UK with licenses for 50- plus ELISA tests, 1991. Sold to Neogen, Inc., ELISA Technologies, 1993.
3) 1999: US Patent # 5,583,095 licensed to Bayer, first FDA approved treatment for Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, marketed as Marquis®, August 2001, more recently (Fall 2011) marketed as Protazil® by Merck Animal Health.
4) 1999: 20 metabolites/regulatory analytes/deuterated standards licensed to Neogen.
5) 2011: 20 other metabolites/regulatory analytes/deuterated standards certified reference standards, licensed to Frontier BioPharm, March 2011.
6) 2012-2016: University of Kentucky Intellectual Property involving novel therapeutic approaches to parasitic disease licensed for patenting and commercialization to VC Equine Research, Inc., September 24th, 2012. A provisional patent was filed by VC equine and a utility patent made possible by this Intellectual Property disclosure was filed on August 4th, 2014 as follows; US Utility Patent E-filing, Filing, Oz, H and Tobin T “Novel Compositions & Methods for Preventing & Treating Apicomplexan Related Disease” utility patent application E-filed August 4th, 2014, EFS ID: 19771622, Application Number: 14451337 International Application Number: n/a Confirmation Number: 496.
2003: Unusual mathematical analysis and biologically unique pathogenesis of MRLS copyrighted (US Copyright# TXU1111484). Other copyrights and IP royalties.
Toxicology, Pharmacology, “Ethics in Scientific Research,” “Risk Assessment,” International Short Courses: “The Commission Veterinarian/Equine Medical Director” 1995 to 2001, and “Testing for Therapeutic Medications, Dietary and Environmental Substances.” Six Kentucky Veterinarian’s Short Courses, 2000-2001. Bain-Fallon Lectures, Australia, 1990 and 2002. Workshop on Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome (MRLS), August 2002, Published, May 2003. Ongoing lectures to Equine Program students, to Graduate Center for Toxicology students.
Ontario Government Faculty Training Grant 1967-70, Massey College Junior Fellow, Toronto, Ontario 1967-70, Toxicology Student Award, 1993; Toxicology rated the only “extremely effective” graduate program in Kentucky by National Research Council, 1992-93; HBPA Man of the Year, 1995, Bain Fallon Lectures, 1989; The “Dr. Thomas Tobin Purse,” August 1, Emerald Downs, Seattle, Washington, 1999;; Kentucky HBPA Man of the Year, 1999; Dubai Millennium Medal, 2001. Honorary faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cordoba, Argentina, “Thomas Tobin Purse”, Cordoba, August, 2001. The Professor Thomas Tobin Trophy, Cayamanas Racetrack, Jamaica, April 20th, 2002. Bain-Fallon Lectures, Gold Coast, Australia, July 2002, Thomas Tobin Purse, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2007, Race won by Baroness Margarida Polak Lara, Primeira Dama do Turfe Brasileiro, and prize presented to her, National HBPA 2008 Industrial Service Award, 2009, Invited Lecturer Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Montevideo, Uruguay, July 2012, Invited lecturer Union Nacional de Asociaciones Ganaderas Colombianas- UNAGA, Bogota, Colombia, 2015. Invited lecturer, Sixth WADA and Anti-Doping Laboratory Qatar, June 1st, 2016, Invited lecture and invited to chair the conference closing session. Guest of His Highness Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Emir of Dubai at the 2014/2015, 2016 and most recently the 2017 Dubai World Cups and also made invited presentations at the Buhoot Equine Research Center, Marmoom, Dubai UAE, in association these visits.
Approximately $16 million through 2017.
About 480 papers,400 invited presentations, 3 patents, numerous communications, four books, several volumes of proceedings, uncounted abstracts. Numerous articles published and reprinted in lay journals.
ResearchGate score, 41.50 [January, 2016, score based on only 120 or so publications].
1) Drugs and the Performance Horse, by Thomas Tobin. Foreword by HRH, The Duke of Edinburgh. 480 pp., Springfield, Illinois: Charles C. Thomas, 1981.
2) Equine Drugs and Vaccines: A Guide for Owners and Trainers 1995. Eleanor Kellon and Thomas Tobin. Breakthrough Publications, Ossining, New York.
3) Equine Drug Testing and Therapeutic Medication Regulation: 2008 National Policy of the National Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, Inc. Kent H Stirling and Thomas Tobin, 160 pages, Wind Publications, PO Box 24548, Lexington Kentucky 40524, wind @wind.org
4) Equine Drug Testing and Therapeutic Medication Regulation: 2009 National Policy of the National Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, Inc. Thomas Tobin and Kent H Stirling, 170 pages, Hardcover ISBN 978-1-893239-12-8 Softcover ISBN 978-1-936138-03-6 Wind Publications, PO Box 24548 Lexington Kentucky 40524, email@example.com
5) World Rules for Equine Drug Testing and Therapeutic Medication Regulation 2012 Policy of the National Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association cy 280 pages, February 2012, International Standard Book Number, 978-1-9361388-42-5, Library of Congress Number, 2001012345. Wind Publications, 600 Overbrook Drive, Nicholasville KY 40350
6) In translation into Spanish: Reglamentacion Mundial para Evaluacion de Drogas y Regulacion de Medicacion Terapeutica en Equinos; Política 2012 para la Asociación Nacional de Beneficencia y Protección de Jockeys. Thomas Tobin, Kimberly Brewer, Kent H. Stirling and Teresita Zambruno, Wind Publications, 600 Overbrook Drive, Nicholasville KY 40350, in progress.
1) Proceedings of the Workshop on Testing for Therapeutic Medications, Environmental and Dietary Substances in Racing Horse. 218 pages, 1995.
2) Furosemide in the Horse: its actions effects and regulatory control, A Testing Integrity Program Seminar held at The New Orleans Hilton Riverside, March 1 1998. Convened by Richard Sams and Scott Stanley, Edited by J.D Harkins, Wyndee Carter and Thomas Tobin; Wind Publications, PO Box 54248, Lexington Kentucky, 40524 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) Proceedings of the First Workshop on Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome  Powell, David G, Troppman, Amy and Tobin, Thomas (Eds): 134 pages, The Maxwell H Gluck Equine Research Center, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, University of Kentucky Lexington, KY, August 2002, Published 2003.