Boards & Licenses
|Invited Presentations||Teaching & National & International Activities||Publications
List & Index
The Expert Witness--
While Under Oath
Reproductive Loss Syndrome
|Race Horse Drug Testing for Performance Altering Substances and Therapeutic Medications||Analytical
Certificates of Analysis
A Regulatory Revolution
|World Racing Rules for Equine Medications|
1) 1984: US Patent # 4,473,640 for morphine detection:“Detection of Morphine and its analogues using enzymatic hydrolysis”
2) 1999: US Patent # 5,883,095 for treatment of EPM (1999) “Formulations and methods to treat and prevent Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis”
3) 2006: US Patent # 7,074,834 for an equine tranquilizer (2006); “Long acting, reversible veterinary sedative and analgesic and method of use.”
Licensed IPs, Companies
1) 1987-1989International Diagnostic Systems,; Royalty arrangements for fentanyl, carfentanil, furosemide, acepromazine, cocaine, detomidine, phenylbutazone, alfentanil, sufentanil and 20-plus others, in ELISA and PCFIA format,
2) 1991: WTT, Inc., created by UK with licenses for 50- plus ELISA tests, 1991. Sold to Neogen, Inc., ELISA Technologies, 1993.
3) 1999: US Patent # 5,583,095 licensed to Bayer, first FDA approved treatment for Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, marketed as Marquis®, August 2001,
4) 1999: 20 metabolites/regulatory analytes/deuterated standards licensed to Neogen.
5) 2011: 12 other metabolites/regulatory analytes/deuterated standards certified reference standards, licensed to Frontier BioPharm, March 2011.
2003: Unusual mathematical analysis and biologically unique pathogenesis of MRLS copyrighted (
Toxicology, Pharmacology, “Ethics in Scientific Research,” “Risk Assessment,” International Short Courses: “The Commission Veterinarian/Equine Medical Director” 1995 to 2001, and “Testing for Therapeutic Medications, Dietary and Environmental Substances.” Six Kentucky Veterinarian’s Short Courses, 2000-2001. Bain-Fallon Lectures, Australia, 1990 and 2002. Workshop on Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome (MRLS), August 2002, Published, May 2003.
Ontario Government Faculty Training Grant 1966 Massey College Junior Fellow, Toronto, Ontario 1967-70, HBPA Man of the Year, 1995; Kentucky HBPA Man of the Year, 1999; Toxicology Student Award, 1993; Toxicology rated the only “extremely effective” graduate program in Kentucky by National Research Council, 1992-93; Bain Fallon Lectures, 1989; The “Dr. Thomas Tobin Purse,” August 1, Emerald Downs, Seattle, Washington, 1999; Millennium Medal, Dubai, 2001. Honorary faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cordoba, Argentina, “Thomas Tobin Purse”, Cordoba, August, 2001. The Professor Thomas Tobin Trophy,
Approximately $15 million through 2012.
Publications: Books, Workshops, Symposia
About 400 plus papers, 100-plus abstracts, two books, five volumes of proceedings. Numerous articles published and reprinted in lay journals.
1) Drugs and the Performance Horse, by Thomas Tobin. Foreword by HRH, The Duke of
2) Proceedings of the Workshop on Testing for Therapeutic Medications, Environmental and Dietary Substances in Racing Horse. 218 pages, 1995.
3) Proceedings of the First Workshop on the Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome. 134 pages, 2002.
4) Equine Drug Testing and Therapeutic Medication Regulation: 2009 Policy of The National HBPA, 160 pages, Wind Publications, 2009, Nicholasville, KY